SUCCESS!!!
For those of you who have been reading my blog over the last couple years, you know that my friend Julia and I take our biannual trip up in the hills to look for the migrating Sandhill Cranes. These birds are amazing. Their body length is about 42 inches (that's 3 1/2 feet!), plus they are standing on such long legs. I think they must be taller than my son, which is hard to imagine. The HUGE flocks fly over us twice a year and are heard from far away. Julia and I have been up looking for them in their infamous "resting spots" several times, but we never seem to catch more than a glimpse of them flying through the air. This time was different.
First, we stopped to check out this old abandoned school house that is somewhat famous, however, I don't know it's history. Something to add to my "want to know list." It's in the middle of nowhere, and possibly on the land of some friends of ours, I'll have to ask them next time we talk. I'd love to know more. Julia was donwn by the water checking out the ducks and geese. I couldn't help but stop to take a photo of this coiled up pile of barbed wire. And then, as we started driving farther, the cranes started flying in. By the way...I used some new photo actions that I got from Creative Confusion at SBB. They are fantastic. You can find YESTERDAY ACTIONS HERE.
Can you see the long line of cranes with a 6 foot wing span?
Pretty soon we came to three in a field. We got out to take some pictures, and you could just hear them all around us! They were everywhere! As we moved on, every field had birds flying in or flying out! This is the best that my zoom could do. I wanted to get closer to them to see if they truly were as tall as my amost 8 year old son, but everytime I walked closer, they walked farther away from me.
ARIZONA on HOLD
It might be a little while before I can share anymore photos of Arizona. Jeff is in the middle of installing, configuring, and transferring all our old desktop computer's memory to the new VISTA machine that we bought with our income tax money. It was time for an upgrade, and I think Jeff is having some fun. Plus, the computer night class that he teaches at the college is moving to Vista this fall, so he needed to familiarize himself with it all. So, we got the 600 gigs (with an extra HD) space, but still need to fill it. In the mean time, our old desktop is sitting on the floor in our room, with all of my photos, and limited access (only when Jeff hooks them together).
I do, however, have some scrap layouts that came out in this month's SBB newsletter that I can now share with you. You can find the full credits for LaWanna and Pamela's designs by visiting my gallery HERE.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!












4 comments:
Success! Finally! I saw several flocks flying out yesterday and I thought of you. I was hoping they weren't all leaving before you got out there to see them! I'm next!
Love the photos you took! Those birds look and sound quite amazing. You got some great shots of them. I also love the shots on your blog of the other birds.
I've got to check out these birds one year too. How cool, nice shots!
I, too, saw these birds, not close and personal, though. HEY, your blog rocks. I love all of your scrapbook pages, and your pictures are inspiring. Glad to have found you, Amy!!!
Post a Comment