Tuesday, August 05, 2008

And She's OFF....

... I'm sending Zoe off to 11 days of girl scout camp tomorrow. We're packed and ready to go. I've never been separated from her this long before (especially without phone contact or email) so it is going to be strange. Her camp theme is "Shutterbug" so I am expecting some great photos from her new camera. I told her to learn some new techniques so that she can come home and teach me. I've got her all packed up with everything she needs including a stack of stationary, address labels, stamps, and envelopes. Wish me luck (she doesn't need any, she is going to have a blast!)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
to Jeff and I. We just celebrated our 13th in the very town we were married in, Coeur D' Alene, Idaho. Jeff booked us a room right near the waterslides. We lucked out in the fact that it was also The Taste of Coeur D' Alene Festival. There were dozens of Art and Food booths, and music on every corner. We had not been to this little tourist town on the lake since that summer day back in 1995 (except maybe to camp on the outskirts once).

So back to the wedding day...well, it was not your traditional wedding. Jeff and I chose to have a small (two friends and us) wedding in a quaint little chapel called the "Hitching Post." It was right across the street from the court house where you fill out the paperwork and apply for the license. Although we had began our life together years before, it was time to make it legal, and neither one of us really wanted to make a big fuss out of gathering everyone together to make it official. Do I regret not having a big wedding?...sometimes. I do wish I had an album full of pretty photos of me dressed in white (rather than brown corduroy), and a few more memories shared with friends and family. Maybe our kids will throw us a big 50th anniversary party some day. We were young (24 and 25), and in love. What else did we need?


Thank goodness for my friend Christy. These are the only wedding photos I have.






Oh, my! That is just funny. Here's Jeff (thinking he is pretty goofy) leaving the chapel with his credit card (it was a $50 fee to get hitched) and his "Peanuts" shirt, tie, and fanny pack (which he still wears). Gotta love 'em!




So we had to revisit the Hitching Post last weekend, just for memory's sake. There was a young (early 20's) couple going in to the chapel with their small family and a young little girl in tow. They looked so happy, excited, and nervous. It brought chills down my spine. I wish them many happy years.



Jon and Christy
offered to meet us at the waterslides on Saturday and take the kids away for the evening so that Jeff and I could enjoy a much needed night out on the town. We hummed and hawwed over where to go eat, and what to do, and finally decided to just walk around downtown. We had a cocktail/drink and appetizer at each of the four restaurants we visited, and sat outside to "people watch" the street goers of the fair. It was the perfect way to go. What a great time. Here's me sipping wine at a French Bistro (we also had some fancy little hour dourves with pickled veggies, baguette and pate), and one of Jeff at our second stop for a cold imported beer and goldfish crackers. He's on the phone with Jon, checking on the kiddos. The next place had the flakiest waitress we've ever experienced (we didn't stay for food), and we finished the evening at the local brewery with a huge plate of chicken nachos!





The Next Day
Jeff and I really wanted to hike up Tubb's Mountain. We tried to talk the kids into it the day prior, but it didn't sound appealing to them, so we held off for our own adventure. It was hot, and quite a hike, but well worth the travel. We found a geocache and were followed by a HUGE raven! People refer to crows as ravens all the time, and it really bothers me because once you have seen a true raven you really know the difference (they are almost a foot bigger and have a distinctly large beak covered partially in feathers). He was squawking at us and following us around.


This shot was hard to get of the two of us with the geocache in foreground because we had to set up the tripod and timer and run to the spot. It took us six tries to get it right. What a view too!




Other Favorite Shots...
from the weekend include;
The jumping castle... This was like the only thing Max could talk about after seeing the giant blow up castle set up on Friday evening. So..when we revisited downtown Saturday morning we had to indulge in his fantasy. I wish I could have caught the smile on his face, but alas, all I got were extremely happy feet!




The park in town has the most amazing playground. Zoe was not the only big kid out there either (for a change) there were adults, and teens, and little feet running everywhere. I think this is the most exciting playground I have ever seen. Sherman Playground boasts 15,000 sq. ft. of playing area with all kinds of benches (for mom and dad), jungle gyms, hiding spots, stages, swings, exploratory areas, etc. I was quite impressed.




Here are the kids playing (agreeably, for a change) on the beach. The floating boardwalk was fun too because we got to ooh and ahh over all the $$$ boats that people had parked along the docks. Some had complete living quarters inside including a sunken galley and fully loaded bars and dining areas. It was amazing!




and back to the Hitching Post....
Ah, aren't they cute?




The day before out trip to Coeur D' Alene, I had just returned from Zoe's annual Girl Scout trip. This year I volunteered to chaperone. It was a busy (and exhausting) two day trip to Wenatchee and Leavenworth to shop, try on hundreds of prom dresses (just for fun), eat at trendy restaurants, ride escalators, and stay in a hotel (with a pool)... just all those little things that people like us in the middle of nowhere tend to lack in our lives. The girls (all seven 12 and 13 year olds) had a blast! While playing a fun card game that I had in the car (Rubber Neckers, check it HERE) the girls were introduced to the traditional "getting the truck driver to honk his horn" trick. They had quite a bit of success walking down the streets of Leavenworth, and us three moms were cracking up watching them. Here you go. Enjoy, smile, and have a great week.


4 comments:

Sarah96 said...

OMG I'm soooo laughing at Jeff wearing his fanny pack during the wedding! That's too cute. :)

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a great trip.

You guys have been busy. :)

Lisa said...

wonderful photos of your wedding! I showed Brett and said neither of you have changed in appearance a bit!! Still sooo young ;)

love the honkin' video.. I think Ana was the loudest screech there :)

I'll miss my girls too... it will be extremely weird with both gone at the same time :)

Kendal said...

I agree with Sarah I'm still cracking up about the fanny pack and the fact that it appears he has the same one on for the 'new' photo.

Sounds like lots of fun and I think it made Shawn a bit curious about CDA.

Craft Tea Lady said...

A: I love your pics, even though few! Mine is rather like that too... we have few, but we came home and had a 'church wedding' 2 weeks later (OR had passed a law that said I couldn't get married at the age I was, just 1 week before we got married - oh yeah, fun stuff. The invites were already out.)

Anyhoooooo - I love it. All of it.~G

www.xanga.com/crafttealady