HELP!!!!
OK, I call myself an avid "bird watcher" and I do feel fairly knowledgeable on species in our area, however, I can't for the life of me identify this HUGE hawk that has been religiously visiting the neighbor's tree daybreak and dusk each and every day. I've even caught him in our spruce with a quail in his talons! He's not a typical hawk, not a red tailed, or a Coopers, or a Sharp Shinned. He's Bigger. In fact I have mistaken him as the great horned owl we have in the neighborhood when it was too dark to make him out completely, he's that big. Very variegated in color, quite dark, and a very short blunt tail, and dark beak. Any suggestions. Remember, I live in the Pacific Northwest, on the East side of the mountains. Please email me or leave a comment if you have any suggestions to solving my mystery. As of now, my best guess is a "Rough Legged", maybe even in the dark morph. You can see the link for him HERE.
TIME TO RETIRE
some older stuff and make room for the new. You can find these (and more) in my store at Digiscrapshak.com for $1 a piece. The entire store is having a 15% off sale right now too, and if you browse through all my stuff....you'll see one of my kits is now for FREE as a sampler, for anyone interested in checking it out.
A FUN EVENT
is going on right now. You can find out more information at Digiscrapshak.com, or at Scrap-A-Faire.com Lot's of classes, freebies, chat rooms 24/4, info and sales. Mostly paper scrap goods, but Digiscrapshak will be there, Don't miss out.




3 comments:
Amy, Have you tried this site?
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc
I meant to do this with the kids this year. We set up a bird garden and have enjoyed just watching as a pasttime, but thought it would be nice to have the kids participate in something like this. But with all that's happened the past few weeks, it just didn't happen. Oh well, maybe next year. Maybe you might find something in that site to help identify the owl.
Have a great weekend!
Here's a link for you to check:
http://www.wos.org/WAList01.htm
It looks like that type of hawk is within your range, and if you'll look at some of the links on the page up above, you can look at some data to see if it is likely that such a hawk would show up in your county, in this season. It certainly looks like that kind of hawk, doesn't it?
We live in hawk country, too (in Iowa) I see them all the time -- sitting in trees, and on lightpoles on my way to the kids school. And yet, I sometimes wonder how much longer I'll be seeing them right out in the open. Will they adapt to the spread of suburbia (we're right on the edge of the city), or will they move farther out to the countryside? The deer have stayed. In fact, they often venture into downtown -- one even spent 20 minutes in Target last fall, poor thing! I know I don't see the pheasant as often as I used to, though. And it makes me sad. I would definitely miss the hawks if they go....
Amy, I saw the magazine at Boarders. Congradulations!
Love, Litte Bro.
Post a Comment